10 Reasons to Shop at Farmers Markets
10 Reasons to Shop the Farmer’s Market
By Joanne Littau
I love Farmer’s Markets. Some of my favorite memories are of joining my in-laws on a late summer’s day for a trip to the farmer’s market. I looked forward to those days more than they probably know. I’m not even sure they remember the trips we made. On those days, we would climb into the car and head north of Denver to visit the farms. I bought tomatoes and corn, beans, cauliflower, and cabbage. The cabbage turned into homemade sauerkraut, which my husband loves.
I’m so thankful for the farmer’s market this year. When in season, I buy peaches nearly every weekend. I make peach cobbler, peach ice cream, peach-mango salsa, and grilled peaches. Peaches. That’s where I’ll start my list.
- Colorado Wise Acres Farms ~ Fresh eggs, fall vegetables, lamb, squash, tomatoes, potatoes
- The Jelly Jar llc ~ Peach Butter, Peach Jelly, Red Wine Jelly, Chocolate-Raspberry Sauce, Blueberry Jam, Strawberry Jam, Seasonal Fruit Jams, Jellies and Preserves
- Stress-free Christmas Shopping, I’ve managed to knock out some Christmas shopping for my mom, daughters, grand babies, my son-in-law. I love that the gifts are simple, organic, and homemade.
- Green Chile. It smells good. It tastes good. And, I made an incredible Chile Relleno casserole with my chiles tonight.
- Coffee. I don’t drink coffee, but the breakfast burritos and the coffee cake are delectable.
- Monsanto’s profits are down and we want to keep it that way!
- Real food. Simple Ingredients. No secret concoctions.
- Fruits and Vegetables In Season ~ Beans, Corn, Broccoli, Plums, Peaches, Apples, and a plethora of fresh greens. I shop Saturday for ingredients to use in a Sunday dinner.
- Fresh Eggs. Eggs are a nutritious, inexpensive complete protein and farm fresh eggs pack more B vitamins and taste than their counterparts. Plus, they’re fresher. Our eggs are usually not more than a few days old when they reach our customers.
I Support local farmers and artisans. Did you know that 68% of funds spent in locally owned, independent businesses returns directly to the community? We should all buy from local small businesses when possible.